The beautiful town of Bethany in south central Connecticut covers 21.6 square miles and is home to approximately 4,800 residents. Bethany was first settled in 1717 but it was not until May 1832 before Bethany separated from Woodbridge to become incorporated as a town. This slightly remote, sparsely populated, residential town retains its rural character. There is some dairying and agriculture. The town is dotted with reservoirs serving Naugatuck and, principally, New Haven.