East Haven is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 29,257. Located 3 miles (5km) east of New Haven, it is part of the Greater New Haven area. East Haven is 35 miles (56km) from Hartford, 82 miles (132km) from New York City, 99 miles (159km) from Providence, Rhode Island, and 140 miles (230km) from Boston. The area now known as East Haven was obtained by Puritan settlers Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton on November 29, 1638, as part of the purchase of New Haven from Sachem Momauguin of the local Quinnipiack tribe. Additional land, in what is now known as Foxon, was purchased from Indian Chief Montowese on December 11, 1638.